9/18/2013

#1: Luxray

So this is it. The final one. My very favorite Pokémon and, in my opinion, also the most awesome one: Luxray! When I first saw Luxray, I immediately fell in love with it... Usually, I don't really like the cat-like Pokémon, while in real-life I'm fonder of cats than of dogs. Ironically, more dog-like Pokémon (Lillipup line, Mightyena, Suicune, Eevee and its evolutions) have appeared in this list than cat-like Pokémon. In fact, Luxray is the only one, strongly resembling a sphinx with its Egyptian-like appearance. Luxray looks so... electrically fierce, shockingly hazardous and buzzingly strong! No surprises there, it's an electric-type Pokémon. It's quite obvious when you look at it, too, with its spiky black mane and bright gold colors. I especially love Luxray's gold eyes; they're quite unique eyes, even in the Pokémon world. Some might think Luxray looks like an out-of-control lunatic with that glaring look, but then you haven't seen Patrat and Watchog yet. Yikes! Anyway, those eyes are its trump. That's right, its eyesight is extraordinary because it can look through most object and walls, like x-ray vision, so practically nothing can go unseen by Luxray. A small wonder it isn't able to learn the move Glare to paralyze its foes with those eyes, though. Take a look at some other characteristics. Its electric power is very reactive and flares uncontrollably when it's angry. Most Luxray are predatory and stubborn, but when tamed and trained correctly they can become very loyal and faithful, protecting their trainer from danger. On the other hand, when abused they can become very antagonistic and vengeful towards their trainer. Lucky my Luxray doesn't attack me. Just start with a Shinx to let it get used to you, that's my advice, hahaha.


Anyway, how does Luxray do in video game battles? Well, first off it has a higher attack than special attack. Some people may think that's actually a letdown, since most electric-type moves are special-based, but I see opportunities in Luxray. Catch a Shinx with a Lonely or Naughty nature, which enables Shinx/Luxio/Luxray to grow its attack by a 10% extra boost and lower either its defense (Lonely nature) or special defense (Naughty nature) by the same percentage. Don't catch one with an Adamant or Brave nature, because they will lower either its special attack or speed, and you might need those stats. Luxray is pretty slow already, so that decreased speed stat is unnecessary. Make sure it has the ability Intimidate, which lowers the opponent's attack stat by one stage when sending it out to battle, because Rivalry raises the base power of Luxray's moves when facing a Pokémon with the same gender but lowers them when facing a Pokémon of the opposite gender. Might be useful, but Intimidate is safer to use, just in case. Eventually, it should have a movepool of Thunder Fang (Wild Charge in generation V) and Return, Crunch and Iron Tail for some nice type coverage. Its special attack is good enough, too, so you might want to consider dropping Iron Tail for Thunderbolt!


In the end Luxray is, in my opinion, just a beautiful Pokémon. Yeah, I really said that! I have loved Luxray ever since Diamond and Pearl came out, and when starting a new game I always catch myself a Shinx as my first Pokémon. Its fierceness, elegance (somehow), beauty, appearance and characteristics make me love Luxray the most of all Pokémon and that's not gonna change soon, not even with that long-expected sixth generation coming up. And being the only cat-like Pokémon on my team, because the other cats are kind of disappointing, Luxray shows why I like cats so much. That elegant appearance, wary, fast and determined, are some nice cat-like features. What's more: Luxray is a combination of lux (a measure of brightness) and x-ray. And because Luxray bears a star shape on the end of its tail and because European mythology says the lynx was said to have the supernatural power to see through solid objects (much like its x-ray vision), it may be based on a lion or lynx. I think it strongly resembles an Egyptian sphinx, however, although it doesn't really matter. Luxray is just an awesome Pokémon, my very favorite. And with awesome comes some cool fan art, as you can see. Definitely Google it!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten